How to File a Report
To file a report of an incident, call X2384 Monday through Friday, from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. or go to the Security office located in Andrews House. An officer will be called to take your report.
After 4 p.m. and on weekends, call Westlands desk, X2222 for emergencies, X2209 for non-emergencies.
Please be prepared to answer the following questions:
Who? What? Where? When? Why? How?
When you call to file a report, identifying yourself allows the Public Safety & Security Department to conduct a proper follow up. However, individuals can call anonymously to leave tips that may assist the department in preventing or solving crimes. Security will respond to all reports of suspicious activity — whether you choose to identify yourself or remain anonymous. Failing to make a report places the entire community at risk.
Anonymous reports will be included as a statistic in the annual campus report unless it is unfounded. Unfounding occurs when an investigation fails to substantiate a good-faith belief that a crime occurred.
How to Describe a Vehicle
Make a note of the following
- License Plate Number (Marker) & State
- Make & Year
- Body Type (sedan; two door-convertible; station wagon)
- Exterior Attachments or Damage
Example: Gray, late model Ford, four door sedan, New York license number XRZ 616 with a roof rack and dent on the passenger side.
How to Describe a Person
This chart shows the characteristics to keep in mind when describing a person:
Indications a Crime Might Be in Progress
- A scream for help
- A strange car repeatedly driving by
- A broken window
- Seeing someone you don't know or recognize:
- entering your neighbor's room or home
- entering an office or lab with no apparent business to transact
- loitering in a parking area, your home, dormitory or work area
- trying to jimmy a car window
If a crime has occurred, call security and report all details of the incident:
There are outdoor emergency telephones marked by a blue light strategically located throughout the campus along college paths and in college parking lots. The map shows their locations The telephones are connected directly (without dialing) to college security. Or you can call X2222. In an emergency give:
- Your location
- The nature of the emergency
- Your name
Security will respond immediately. Remember details so you can tell the investigators:
- Where the incident took place
- Describe the suspect(s)
- Describe any vehicle and direction of escape