SLC.edu / Offices and Services / Security and Fire Safety Annual Report 2012 / Emergency Response Plan / Utility Failures
Power FailureThe following actions are to be taken by members of the college community in the event of a power failure:
- Report any power failure immediately to the Department of Public Safety & Security (ext.2222). Back-up emergency power should make it possible to use the college telephones for a while. However if the office telephones are not working, locate a security officer who will relay the information via portable radio.
- Remain where you are until the extent of the problem is determined. Security officers will go from room to room informing occupants to remain where they are notified otherwise.
- Keep a flashlight available in your office or dorm room at all times. Never use candles during a power failure.
- During the daytime hours you can attempt to add as much natural lighting as possible by raising blinds and opening draperies.
- Faculty with classes should remain where they are until notified otherwise.
- During a power failure or possible power failure never use an elevator. If you become trapped in an elevator though during a power outage use the emergency phone in the elevator to contact the Department of Public Safety & Security. Wait for assistance. Try not to panic. Help will be on its way.
- Once power is restored, security officers will go from room to room and notify the occupants.