Medical Transport - Health Services
Medical Transport is an accommodation available to students, faculty, and staff with documented disabilities or medical conditions who need assistance getting around the Sarah Lawrence campus. Security and Public Safety manages the Medical Transport system, working closely with Health Services, Disability Services, and Human Resources. Medical Transport will always try to provide as close to door-to-door service on campus but it does not transport students to destinations off campus.
Procedure for Requesting Medical Transport
- Students with a current medical need requiring transportation assistance should contact Health Services at (914) 395-2350.
- Students with a disability requiring transportation assistance should contact the Associate Dean of Studies and Disability Services at (914) 395-2249 or firstname.lastname@example.org. They will need to provide documentation of the disability. Guidelines for documenting a disability can be found here.
- After the request has been reviewed and approved by either Health Services or Disability Services, Public Safety will be notified and the student will be put on the Medical Transport list.
For Faculty and Staff
- Faculty and Staff with a current medical need or disability requiring transportation assistance should contact the Vice President for Human Resource Services at (914) 395-2365.
- After the request has been reviewed and approved by Human Resources, Public Safety will be notified and the faculty or staff member will be put on the Medical Transport list.
Procedure for Using Medical Transport
For Students, Faculty, and Staff
- Anyone on the Medical Transport list requesting a ride should call Security at Westlands Desk at (914) 395-2209 10-15 minutes prior to when they want to be picked up. When requesting the ride, the caller should give their name, where they want to be picked up, and where they want to be driven to. Security will verify that they are on the Medical Transport List and make the call for the car or van.
- It is important that both Security and the person needing the ride are clear on the pick-up and drop-off locations. It is the responsibility of the person requesting the ride to be at the designated location on time. Security will wait 5 minutes and if no one arrives, they will leave. If Medical Transport has not arrived within 10 minutes of the call, the person requesting a ride should call Westlands Desk again.
Pre-Arranged Semester Schedule
If students, faculty, or staff have a regular class, conference, or student life commitment schedule and would like to make arrangements for Medical Transport on a semester basis, they may. In that case, they must complete a Pre-Arranged Medical Transportation Request Form, which can be picked up from Campus Operations in Andrews House. If approved for Medical Transport, the Director of Public Safety will create a schedule, which will be agreed to by the person requesting the service. The schedule must be renewed at the beginning of each academic semester.
It is the responsibility of the person using Medical Transport to notify Westlands Desk at (914) 395-2209 of any changes to the pre-arranged schedule, preferably at least 15 minutes before the scheduled pick-up. The College reserves the right to cancel this arrangement with a student, faculty, or staff member, if there are three instances of not notifying Westlands Desk and not being at the designated pick up location. The pre-arranged schedule pick-up is only for regularly scheduled academic and/or student life commitments.