Our staff is specially trained to understand and treat problems that relate to college-age students and their lifestyles. Health Services is staffed primarily by Family Nurse Practitioners (FNPs) and Nurses while the College is in session. A local physician who is affiliated with Lawrence Hospital provides consultation to the Nurses and Nurse Practitioners.
The Health Services Nurse Practitioners can:
- Diagnose and treat short-term physical illnesses and minor injuries
- Prescribe common medications for acute illness
- Give vaccinations or regular allergy injections and perform routine lab work
- Test and treat sexually transmitted diseases
- Perform annual gynecological exams and PAP tests and address routine gynecological problems and concerns
- Provide birth control and sexual protection to both men and women, including emergency contraception (morning-after pill) for women, depot (DMPA) contraceptive injections and prescriptions for oral contraceptives