ARCHIVED: $5 Million Gift to Sarah Lawrence is Among the Largest in College’s History: Endowment, Writing Program and Admission Office to Benefit

Sarah Lawrence College has announced a $5 million gift from Trustee Nancie Cooper MFA ’04, former financial services management consultant, and her husband Steve, co-founder and former chairman of Zolfo Cooper, an advisory and management firm, and former vice chairman of MGM.

The Coopers’ gift is one of the largest in the College’s history and will provide funding to enhance the endowment, support the College’s nationally renowned writing program and faculty, and finance the renovation of the Admission office.

“Nancie has played a catalytic role on the Board of Trustees, working particularly closely with faculty and staff to ensure a healthy future for the College she loves,” said President Karen Lawrence about Cooper, who joined the Board in 2005 and currently serves as vice chair.

Addressing the centrality of the faculty to the College’s ethos, Cooper commented: “My experience with the generosity of my teachers in sharing their scholarship, their patience, and their guidance with my evolving and uncertain aesthetic, their enthusiasm and encouragement, and above all their kindness, led me, and my husband, to make this gift. These factors truly create an environment where students feel free to experiment—and that freedom is the gateway to growth.”

The portion of the Coopers’ gift dedicated to direct support for faculty will take the form of a rotating chair in writing to be named in memory of Nancie Cooper’s friend and award-winning journalist, Ellen Kingsley Hirschfeld ’73.