ARCHIVED: Parent of 2010 graduate shares praise for commencement ceremony, quality of a Sarah Lawrence education

Dr. Richard Metzger, parent of a member of the Class of 2010, shared these thoughts on Commencement and Sarah Lawrence College with President Karen Lawrence in a recent note:

"My son graduated this year. As you can imagine, I have seen my share of commencements but I have never enjoyed one as much as this. Your history of SLC made the education my son had received even more exciting. I knew much of the philosophy, hope that I have even used some of it myself. But there was such an energy to the students' enthusiasm for what they have received that I was moved to ask why my students don’t share that zest. Oh, I know all of the rhetorical answers, but there is something more at your college. As a small college alum, I value that shared experience, the intimate learning, the excellence of the personal. Sarah Lawrence does something else. You give courage and wisdom, things that are generally preserved for the older folks."