ARCHIVED: Emerging Artists Series at Sarah Lawrence College Continues with “The Wind Kept Me Up Last Night” by Matthew Cox

Sarah Lawrence College will showcase “The Wind Kept Me Up Last Night,” a solo exhibition by Matthew Cox in the Heimbold Visual Art Center’s Barbara Walters Gallery from January 22 through February 19th. Gallery hours are Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., Saturday and Sunday, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. This exhibit is free and open to the public. For more information please call (914) 395-2355 or email .

Cox’s exhibition is a part of the on-going emerging artists series held during the 2008—2009 academic year. Members of the college’s visual arts and visual culture faculty in conjunction with their students select each artist in the series.

“The Wind Kept Me Up Last Night,” is a survey of recent work from 2006 through 2008 that presents various media such as drawing, sculpture, and animation. “All the works explore joy, boredom, and anxiety and their fundamental role in creating my self-awareness, feelings that are encountered in unexpected places as I go about my daily routine,” Cox says. “In creating art I hope to gain insight through learning and questioning what creates my self and the world I inhabit. I am influenced by the changes that disrupt our daily routine, be they luck or tragedy: those events which challenge our assumptions and threaten our stability.”

Cox earned a BFA in sculpture from Florida International University, and an MFA in animation from the University of Miami. He has recently exhibited work at The Lab in San Francisco. His animations have been seen at various film festivals such as the Anthology Film Archive and Uribus Animax. Cox currently lives and works in New York City.

Sarah Lawrence is a liberal arts college for men and women, founded in 1926, with a distinctive system of education. It is known for having one of the lowest (6:1) student/faculty ratios in the country. At the core of the system are small classes, regular one-on-one student-faculty conferences, cross-disciplinary approaches and the integration of the creative arts within the curriculum.