ARCHIVED: Alumnae Cited for Accomplishments and Service

Five alumnae of Sarah Lawrence College were awarded citations for achievement and service during the College's reunion, June 6–8. Tina Howe '59, a noted playwright, Ingrid Sischy '73, an acclaimed editor, and Barbara Taylor Bowman '50, a pioneer in early childhood education, were recognized for their outstanding accomplishments, while Anne Beane Rudman '67 and Molly Caldwell '93 were recognized for extraordinary service to the College. The honored alumnae were nominated by their classmates.

Achievement Awards

A distinguished playwright for more than 30 years, Tina Howe has won numerous awards, including a Tony nomination for Coastal Disturbances and an Obie for Painting Churches, which was later adapted for television and broadcast on TNT as The Portrait. Her plays have premiered at such celebrated venues as The Kennedy Center, Lincoln Center Theater, and the New York Shakespeare Festival. The recipient of a Rockefeller grant, two NEA fellowships, and a Guggenheim fellowship, Howe is a two-time finalist for the Pulitzer Prize. She was nominated for this Sarah Lawrence alumnae/i award by actress Jane Alexander '61, who applauds the subtlety, sensitivity, humor, and sharp wit of Howe's work.

Recently named international editor of the European editions of Vanity Fair magazine, Ingrid Sischy has long been a champion of creativity in all its forms. When she took the reins at Interview magazine (following the death of founder Andy Warhol), she opened new pathways between high art and popular culture. In nearly two decades as editor-in-chief, she covered not only painting and sculpture, but also pop music, film, television, fashion, and advertising. An editor for nine years at ArtForum, Sischy also has been a contributing editor to the U.S. edition of Vanity Fair since 1997 as well as a critic for The New Yorker. In nominating Sischy, Max Ember '73 says he believes that "Ingrid has truly changed the face of arts criticism in this century...What Andy Warhol did visually, Ingrid has achieved critically."

A pioneer in the teaching of early childhood education and administration, Barbara Taylor Bowman co-founded the Erikson Institute in 1966 to provide comprehensive training for teachers in the Head Start—a preschool program for disadvantaged children. Since then, she has become a nationally recognized expert in the field, and has consulted with universities in China and Iran. She has served on White House panels, research councils for the National Academy of Sciences, and task forces for the Chicago public schools. A tireless activist for equal educational access for minority children, Bowman has been described by colleagues at the Institute as "a straight shooter...an advocate who can speak simply without being simplistic." Bowman was nominated by Beatrice Frank '50 and Marilyn Katz '54.

Service Award

Anne Beane Rudman has served Sarah Lawrence College in numerous ways since her days on campus. A career attorney, Rudman has shared her expertise at student career networking panels and, as an eight-year member of the Board of Trustees, assisted in amending the board's by-laws. Rudman also served on the Alumnae/i Board from 1991 to 1995, including a term as chair of the Nominating Committee and membership on the Long Range Planning Committee and the Alumnae/i Admission Committee. Additionally, Rudman has been an enthusiastic supporter of the Sarah Lawrence College in Cuba program, having visited the country on numerous occasions. She was nominated for this award by Sara Abramson-Squire '67.

Young Alumnae/i Award

Molly Caldwell has been a hardworking and innovative member of the Alumnae/i Board, first as co-chair of the Young Alumnae/i Committee and currently as chair of the Communications Committee. "Molly's leadership is marked by enthusiasm, positive energy, and new ideas that have reinvigorated the Alumnae/i Board," says Jacqueline Peu-Duvallon '97, who nominated Caldwell for the award. "She has also helped implement important new outreach strategies." Her initiatives have included organizing alumnae/i volunteers to help paint public schools in economically disadvantaged New York City neighborhoods; initiating a  storytelling booth at the annual Mayfair campus festival for local children, engaging College authors as participants; and creating incentives for first-year students to attend Alumnae/i Association events during orientation.