ARCHIVED: Music Concert Honoring Margaret Hopping

The Sarah Lawrence College Chamber Choir and Women’s Vocal Ensemble will perform works by Handel, Fauré, Copland, spirituals and folk songs conducted by Patrick Romano. The concert is free and open to the public, and it will take place on Sunday, May 11 at 5 p.m. in Reisinger Concert Hall. Organizers hope the public will consider the concert as an enjoyable way to celebrate Mother’s Day. For more information please call (914) 395-2412.

The concert is in honor of the memory of Bronxville resident Margaret Hopping, whose bequest earlier this year established the Margaret Hopping Music Fund at the College.

The following pieces will be performed:

The Main Event - Leonardo Dreams of His Flying Machine – Eric Whittaker, Coronation Anthem No. 1 – George Frideric Handel
Spirituals – My Friend Elijah – Paul Carey, Lead Me Home – Eric William Barnum
Folk Songs – Jenny Kissed Me – Eric William Barnum, I Am Not Yours – Z. Randall Stroope, A Maiden is in a Ring – Hugo Alfven
Women’s Vocal Ensemble - The Little Horses & Ching a Ring Chaw – Aaron Copland, The Nightingale – Thomas Weelkes, Weep, O Mine Eyes – John Bennett, O, Had I Jubal’s Lyre – George F. Handel, Tantum Ergo & Ave Maria – Gabriel Faure

Margaret Hopping was a member of one of the first families to live in Bronxville. She died shortly before her 100th birthday last year. Thanks to her bequest, the Margaret Hopping Music Fund was established to help underwrite the annual concert series, which presents approximately eight performances each semester by diverse artists of widely varying styles.