ARCHIVED: Ivanna Yi Receives U.S. Student Fulbright Award

Ivanna Yi MFA '09 (Photo Credit: Brynn Saito)

Ivanna Yi MFA ’09 has been awarded a Fulbright U.S. student scholarship to South Korea in creative writing, the United States Department of State and the J. William Fulbright Foreign Scholarship Board announced recently. Yi is one of over 1,300 U.S. citizens who will travel abroad for the 2007-2008 academic year through the Fulbright U.S. Student Program. Recipients are selected on the basis of academic or professional achievement, as well as demonstrated leadership potential in their fields.

On the fellowship, Yi will travel to Seoul, Korea to study p'ansori, Korea's epic poetry tradition. “P'ansori is one the last surviving epic poetry traditions in the world in that both its music and poetry is preserved and performed in contemporary Korea,” said Yi. “The art form is comparable to Western opera in that it unites poetry, drama, and music.” She plans to take Korean music literature and Korean music history courses at Ewha Womans University's College of Music to supplement her study of p'ansori singing and performance.

“I've been interested in the interdisciplinary possibilities in art for some time, having arrived at poetry through music,” she said. “I'm hoping that I'll be able to incorporate elements of the art form, especially its interdisciplinary nature and its fusion of lyric and epic, in my future writing.”

Yi received a Bachelor’s degree from Yale University in English with a writing concentration in poetry. After returning from Korea, she will be a second-year graduate student at Sarah Lawrence’s Graduate Writing Program.