ARCHIVED: Alumnae/i Cited for their Accomplishments

Three distinguished alumnae/i of Sarah Lawrence College will be awarded achievement citations during the College’s reunion taking place June 1 - 3. Over 500 alumnae/i, faculty and staff of the undergraduate college as well as graduate programs will be in attendance. Carole Artigiani, MA ‘79, and Beth Kalish-Weiss ’55 will receive citations for outstanding achievements and Barbara Kolsun ‘71 for extraordinary service to the College. Those receiving the citations were nominated by their classmates.

Carole Artigiani MA '79 is the founder and current executive director of Global Kids, Inc., whose New York-based programs educate and inspire public school students to become successful students and global and community leaders. She taught history for eight years before enrolling at Sarah Lawrence in the Woman's History program. She served as coordinator of the program until 1987. Ms. Artigiani was cited by the Anne Frank Foundation as an Outstanding Educator for  "courage in combating racism, prejudice, and bias-related violence" and was named a 2006 Purpose Prize Fellow by Civic Ventures. She is a member of the Human Rights Watch Advisory Council on Africa and the Council on Foreign Relations.

After studying dance at Sarah Lawrence with Bessie Schönberg, Beth I. Kalish-Weiss ’55 pursued a PhD in Child Development and went on to become a founding member of the American Dance Therapy Association. She now serves as president of the Los Angeles Institute for Psychoanalytic Studies, teaches at the Newport Psychoanalytic Institute and volunteers her therapeutic services at a Los Angeles-based clinic, working with mothers and children in a primarily Latino community. She has received awards for her work in movement therapy, mental health, and Autism.

Barbara Kolsun ‘71 has been a singer, Broadway actress, high-powered lawyer, international speaker, social justice champion, nonprofit board member, and college professor. She is currently senior vice president and general counsel for Seven For All Mankind, a luxury denim manufacturer, and its official anti-counterfeiting watchdog. At Sarah Lawrence, Kolsun is recognized for her years of service on the Alumnae/i Association Board of Directors, which she served as president from 1999-2003 and for which she helped to organize activities for alumnae/i worldwide. She has been a member of the College’s Board of Trustees since 1999.