ARCHIVED: Exhibit By Leeza Doreian

Leeza Doreian “Tourists and Residents”
Tuesday, February 20 to Tuesday, March 27
Barbara Walters Gallery
Hours: M – F, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.; S/S, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Opening Reception: Tuesday, February 20, 6:00 - 8:00p.m.

Sarah Lawrence College is pleased to announce “Tourists and Residents,” a solo exhibition of work by Leeza Doreian. On view at the Heimbold Visual Art Center’s Barbara Walters Gallery, it is free and open to the Public. For more information please call 914-395-2355 or e-mail .

Leeza Doreian’s exhibition is a part of the on-going emerging artists series held during the 2006-2007 academic year. Members of the college’s visual arts and visual culture faculty in conjunction with their students select each artist in the series.

“This work investigates ways of expressing the relationship between the physical experience of walking through the world and the intellectual ordering needed to process these experiences,” says Doreian. “I am interested in how this internal world interacts, affects and is affected by what is physical, cultural or political. Specifically, I am concerned with the role that memory, both personal and cultural, plays in this. It is this delicate negotiation between the inner workings of the self and the external world that I am trying to synthesize. The images I use are drawn from the ordinary places that we, as humans, create and inhabit.”

In the paintings exhibited in “Tourists and Residents,” the primary organizational force is the conceptual and structural qualities of pattern. Other themes are the transformation of place and loss. For example, in “Hover,” a feral cat eyes the viewer from behind the fence while images of artificial flowers begin to eclipse an old, and now demolished gazebo. In “Kiss of the Doves” images of domesticated pigeons fly in formation in the background of the painting as mass-produced kissing doves hover in the foreground. Also included in this exhibition is “Tourists,” a conceptual work that also deals with memory and place but focuses more on a societal level.

Leeza Doreian has exhibited at GASP in Boston, Artists Space, GV/AS, PS1, Cynthia Broan Gallery in New York, Lunstraumf auf Zeit in Linz, Austria, and John Michael Kohler Arts Center in Michigan, among others. This is Leeza’s first solo show in New York. She lives and works in Brooklyn NY.