ARCHIVED: Artist Meg Lindsay Exhibits Abstract Paintings

Work by Meg Lindsay

Meg Lindsay
“Language of Abstraction”
Exhibit
Monday, January 15 through Saturday, March 31
The Gallery at the Esther Raushenbush Library

Painter and poet Meg Lindsay MFA ‘98 returns to the Esther Raushenbush Library exhibit gallery at Sarah Lawrence College to present her second show Language of Abstraction, an exhibition of paintings and prints that capture the layering of what looks real into the abstract. The exhibit runs from Monday, January 15 through Saturday, March 31, 2007 and is open to the public during regular library hours. There will be a reception on Saturday, January 13 from 2 to 4 p.m. (snow date January 14). For more information, please call 914-395-2470.

“Searching for a subject’s ‘language,’ I work many versions at once, starting with the concrete specifics,” shared Meg Lindsay. “Methodically I photograph, sketch in graphite, charcoal or ink to feel subtle variations of tone and shape. Shifting into more luminous oils and the unpredictable wetness of translucent layer upon layer brings lucky accidents. Slowly an interior message emerges.” The Language of Abstraction explores the process of conversing with one’s inner voice to turn perceptions of the outside into representations of the essential. Lindsay’s subjects include landscapes found throughout the Hudson Valley and birds of prey with a focus on owls. “Our minds want to connect with a recognizable image,” she explained. “However, like the slow cooking of a soup into an intense, nourishing broth, the painter extracts from the original, distills into an essence, sometimes unrecognizable from the original ingredients. Irrelevant details drop off. Less is better. This is abstraction.”

A practicing painter for forty years, Meg Lindsay’s love for language compelled her to take continuing education courses in writing at Sarah Lawrence College, where she remained to receive a Masters of Arts in poetry. “I enjoyed going back and reading literature, but this time exploring what I needed or wanted to know,” she said of her return to school. Having a sense of the musicality and rhythms of both visuals and language, she delights in the crossovers between varied disciplines, an approach Sarah Lawrence is committed to.

Meg Lindsay’s art has appeared as part of group exhibitions in museums, art centers and colleges throughout the nation. Aside from Retrospective, her first show at the Esther Raushenbush Library gallery in 2000, her solo works were featured in 1973 at the Mamaroneck Artist’s Guild and in 1993 on Westchester television show, State of the Arts. She is a resident of Irvington, NY.