ARCHIVED: Photographs on Exhibit Evoke Victorian Era

Work by Lee Edwards

A photographic exhibit of natural objects and artificial forms that are evocative of the Victorian era, Capturing the Moment: Photographs by Lee MacCormick Edwards, is on exhibit at the gallery of the Esther Raushenbush library at Sarah Lawrence College from May 1 through May 25.

Edwards is a member of the Sarah Lawrence art history faculty specializing in the arts and social history of the nineteenth century. Her photographs, which she views as extensions of her interest in the Victorian era, have been shown in solo exhibitions at the SoHo Photo Gallery in New York City, as well as the annual art shows of the Century Association in New York.

“While each of my photographs captures a single moment--a snap judgment if you will—it also tells a story,” she says. And,“…while my photographs may at first glance appear disparate, they are deeply interconnected—through the why, how and where I took them—as well as through the ongoing narratives expressed in recurring motifs and inner meanings. I see how they work as opposites or similarities, as escapes or fantasies.”

For hours and further information please call (914) 395-2470.