ARCHIVED: "Listening in Color"

Sander

An exhibit titled “Listening in Color” will display paintings by Joelle Sander in the Esther Raushenbush Library at Sarah Lawrence College from Oct. 1st through Nov. 28th.

An opening reception will be held in the College’s Heimbold Visual Arts Center on Monday, October 10th at 1:30 p.m. The exhibit is open to the public Monday – Thursday 8:30 a.m. – 8:30 p.m., Friday 8:30 a.m. – 7 p.m., Saturday 11 a.m. – 5 p.m., and Sunday 11 a.m. – 8:30 p.m. For additional information, please call 914-395-2470.

Sander, an associate director of Sarah Lawrence College’s Center for Continuing Education, has been painting for 12 years. “Listening in Color” will serve as her first solo exhibit. The paintings included in this exhibit were inspired by particular phrases recalled from childhood conversations with her father. “The words themselves provided no imagery, but rather an enormous energy to transform them into color, gesture and texture,” Sander said. “My paintings are a celebration of the legacy of optimism and sensuality my father gave me throughout my life.”

Sander was recently selected by Phil Alexandre, a New York City art dealer, to present her paintings in a faculty and student exhibit at the 92nd Street Y commemorating the 75th anniversary of Y’s Art Center.

In addition to painting, Sander is a writer. Among her work is an award-winning oral history entitled Before Their Time: Four Generations of Teenage Mothers.

An image of Sander’s work is available upon request.