ARCHIVED: Celebrities Gather to Support Their Alma Mater

Sarah Lawrence in Hollywood

Some of the entertainment industry’s veterans—and rising stars—are joining forces on Monday, February 10 to help their alma mater, Sarah Lawrence College in New York, kick off a capital fund raising campaign dedicated to ensuring the future of “education in the singular.” Showcasing clips of their work and talking with mistress of ceremonies, Jane Alexander, about the difference the College has made in their lives, twenty writers, directors, producers and actors will do their best to convince fellow alumnae/i, from throughout southern California, that they should give generously to the College that focuses on the individual through small classes and close contact with faculty.

In addition to Alexander, who is currently starring in “Rose and Walsh,” the new Neil Simon play, in its world premiere at Los Angeles’ Geffen Playhouse, the list of luminaries participating in the program includes JJ Abrams, Jon Avnet, Susan Baerwald, Laura Bickford, Alan Blumenfeld, Gabrielle Carteris, Yvonne Chotzen, Gretchen Rennell Court, Jessica R. Harper, Lauren Holly, Lynne Littman, Susan Loewenberg, Joshua Maurer, Margery Nelson, Holly Robinson Peete, Jonathan Penner, Midge Sanford, Buffy Shutt-Robinson and Debra Zane.

Much acclaimed casting director Debra Zane (“Catch Me If You Can,” “Road to Perdition,” “Traffic,” “American Beauty”) said of her involvement with the College: "As much as I feel casting is the perfect career for me, Sarah Lawrence was the perfect school. It is important for me to give something back to the place where my voice, my opinions, my tastes and my sensibilities were all shaped."

Sarah Lawrence has set a $75 million goal for the campaign—“The Sarah Lawrence Difference: Preserve it. Enrich it.”—to coincide with the celebration of its 75th anniversary next year. The funds will be used for a variety of purposes including scholarships, the construction of a visual arts center and endowment.