ARCHIVED: "Alternate Visions" exhibit by Paul Greco

Paul Greco

An exhibit by abstract artist Paul Greco of Yonkers, "Alternate Visions," will be shown at the Esther Raushenbush Library Gallery at Sarah Lawrence College in Yonkers from January 20 until February 28. An opening reception will be held on Sunday, January 26 from 2 to 4 p.m.. The exhibit and reception are free and open to the public.

The exhibit is a culmination of Greco's work of the last few years, and includes pieces using acrylic on canvas, collages and construction pieces. "Most of my work is abstract - weaving from biomorphic into geometric," Greco explains. He does black and white work as in his "Space Craft Fragments Series," as well as bright and vivid color schemes as in his new acrylic on canvas "911." "I love experimenting with new and unusual color combinations and textures." Also part of his repertoire are his "journals," which began as written works, and ended up as books of paintings.

In addition to other artistic forms that surround him, Greco finds inspiration from the natural world, the ecosystem, plant and animal life as well as outer space, and draws on science for his work. Even though I think about the pieces I'm working on all the time, I try to let my work flow naturally. Because my work is mostly abstract, people are able to bring their own interpretations, sense and impressions to the pieces they are viewing."

Greco is also a sculptor and has been commissioned by the City of Yonkers for his installation, the "Meditation Circle" soon to be on permanent view at the new Yonkers Sculpture Meadow on the Hudson River. "Much of my recent work reflects my fascination with unexplained earth mysteries, ancient megalithic stone structures and the science of new discoveries."

Exhibit hours at Sarah Lawrence are Monday–Thursday, 8:30 a.m. to 8:30 p.m., Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 7 p.m., Saturday from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. and Sunday, 11 a.m. to 8:30 p.m. For more information, please call (914) 395-2470.