The Art of Teaching Difference
- We look at children, not benchmarks. We believe all children are capable and strong.
- We view children as active makers of their own meaning: A child’s mode of thinking and learning shapes our teaching strategies, and the ways in which our students are able to connect children’s thinking to larger curricular ideas.
- “Recollection” helps students discover how they themselves learned, and also how others have learned. It involves integrating recollections shared in seminars with knowledge made from being with children; in conversation with faculty and peers; and through readings from the literature to form a holistic philosophy of theory and practice.
- We strive for an interdisciplinary understanding of curriculum. Students discuss how to develop curriculum and teaching strategies for individual subject areas, while valuing the connections among disciplines.
- Art of Teaching has the advantage of being connected to a Liberal Arts College. This allows for interaction with undergraduate faculty in the disciplines, as well as access to all campus facilities.
- The College campus provides a relaxed and nurturing environment for study, while close proximity to NYC expands students’ opportunities to student teach in urban settings. | Explore the campus»