The Child Development Institute
Through its outreach to teachers, parents, administrators, community coalitions, and others committed to facilitating the growth of healthy, creative children, the Child Development Institute communicates a progressive educational philosophy and provides a forum for the discussion of issues related to children, childhood, and education.
Historic Progressive Education Conference Inspires
On April 5 & 6, 2013, over 400 educators, students, parents, faculty, and community members attended the Child Development Institute's Faces of Progressive Education in the 21st Century: Infancy through College conference.
Workshop and Speakers Bureau
As part of the CDI Speakers Bureau, workshops are conducted by early childhood professionals for educators, school administrators, children’s librarians, parents, community coalitions, and others who are engaged in promoting children’s creativity and healthy development.
Child Development News
- November 11, 2013, Scientific American, "The Need for Pretend Play in Child Development"
- November 2013, US Play Coalition, "A Research-Based Case for Recess"
- September 14, 2013, The New York Times, "Lifelines for Poor Children"
- August 19, 2013 Psychological Science, "Impact of Bullying in Childhood on Adult Health, Wealth, Crime, and Social Outcomes"
- June 27, 2013 Science Daily, "A Look Inside Children's Minds"
Early Childhood Center Art Archive
See the work of young children ages two through seven at the Early Childhood Center at Sarah Lawrence College, where artwork is essential curriculum. The Early Childhood Center and Child Development Institute work closely to provide children, parents, and educators with play experiences and workshops.