The Child Development Institute
Through its outreach to teachers, parents, administrators, community coalitions, and others committed to facilitating the growth of healthy, creative children, the Child Development Institute communicates a progressive educational philosophy and provides a forum for the discussion of issues related to children, childhood, and education.
Community Adventure Play Experience on May 4
Sunday May 4, 2014
11:00 - 3:00 p.m.
Sarah Lawrence College
1 Mead Way
Bronxville, NY 10708
2014 Summer Professional Development Program Dates
Play's the Thing: Facilitating Play for Young Children
June 22-26, 2014
July 14-18, 2014
Teaching the Environment: Discovering Urban Landscapes
August 4-8, 2014
2014 Thomas Wright Lecture
Asking Questions and Trusting What You're Told
Paul Harris, PhD
Monday, July 14, 2014
Heimbold Donnelley Theatre
Free and Open to the Public. Registration required.
For more information, click here.
Conversations around the Common Core
With the Common Core State Standards being implemented in many states this year, there is growing national dialogue around the impact of its implementation. Click here to read points for consideration posed by the Child Development Institute. Learn more about what others are saying:
- New York Times Op-Ed, "We Need to Talk About the Test: A Problem with the Common Core" by Elizabeth Phillips
- New York Times, "Many Pupils Say 2014 New York Reading Tests Are Easier, but Complaints Persist" by Al Baker
- Network for Public Education Conference, Common Core Panel, with Paul Horton, Geralyn McLaughlin, Mercedes Schneider, Jose Luis Vilson, and Randi Weingarten
- Education Week, "Field Testing Set to Begin on Common Core Exams" by Catherine Gewertz and "Common Core Standards: Ten Colossal Errors" by Anthony Cody
- Huffington Post, "We Need a Course Correction on Common Core" by Dennis Van Roekel
- Washington Post, "Kindergarten Teacher: My job is now about tests and data - not children. I Quit." and "The Myth of Common Core Equity" by Valerie Strauss
Workshop and Speakers Bureau
As part of the CDI Speakers Bureau, workshops are conducted by early childhood professionals for educators, school administrators, children’s librarians, parents, community coalitions, and others who are engaged in promoting children’s creativity and healthy development.
Child Development News
- March/April 2014, Exchange, "Supporting Children through the Transitions of Early Learning"
- March 19, 2014, Atlantic, "The Overprotected Kid: A preoccupation with safety has stripped childhood of independence, risk-taking, and discovery - without making it safer. A new kind of playground points to a better solution"
- March 3, 2014, Science Daily, "Health benefits from free play confirmed by research"
- February 12, 2014, International Journal of Play, "On 'becoming social': the importance of collaborative free play in childhood"
- November 11, 2013, Scientific American, "The Need for Pretend Play in Child Development"
- November 6, 2013, Science Daily, "Early Childhood Educators Hold Key to Children's Communication Skills"
- November 2013, US Play Coalition, "A Research-Based Case for Recess"