The Child Development Institute
Through its outreach to teachers, parents, administrators, community coalitions, and others committed to facilitating the growth of healthy, creative children, the Child Development Institute communicates a progressive educational philosophy and provides a forum for the discussion of issues related to children, childhood, and education.
CDI Hosts Virtual Teacher Dialogue with Educators from Tanzania
After months of dialogue and sharing of early childhood classroom footage between the Early Childhood Center (ECC) and the Janada L. Batchelor Foundation for Children (JBFC), CDI hosted a video call between ECC and JBFC teachers who met for the first time virtually. During the call, teachers shared their reactions, thoughts, and questions after seeing each other's classroom footage. Learn more»
Workshop and Speakers Bureau
As part of the CDI Speakers Bureau, workshops are conducted by early childhood professionals for educators, school administrators, children’s librarians, parents, community coalitions, and others who are engaged in promoting children’s creativity and healthy development.
Conversations around the Common Core
With the Common Core State Standards being implemented in many states this year, there is growing national dialogue around the impact of its implementation. Click here to read points for consideration posed by the Child Development Institute. Learn more about what others are saying:
- Education Week, "Support Slipping for Common Core, Especially among Teachers, Poll Says" by Catherine Gewertz
- Washington Post, "Common Core tests fail kids in New York again. Here's how" by Valerie Strauss
- New York Times, "Common Core, in 9-Year Old Eyes" by Javier Hernandez
- New York Times Op-Ed, "We Need to Talk About the Test: A Problem with the Common Core" by Elizabeth Phillips
- New York Times, "Many Pupils Say 2014 New York Reading Tests Are Easier, but Complaints Persist" by Al Baker
- Network for Public Education Conference, Common Core Panel, with Paul Horton, Geralyn McLaughlin, Mercedes Schneider, Jose Luis Vilson, and Randi Weingarten
- Education Week, "Common Core Standards: Ten Colossal Errors" by Anthony Cody
- Huffington Post, "We Need a Course Correction on Common Core" by Dennis Van Roekel
- Washington Post, "Kindergarten Teacher: My job is now about tests and data - not children. I Quit." and "The Myth of Common Core Equity" by Valerie Strauss
Child Development News
- September 10, 2014, Education Week, "We Need Teachers of Color"
- August 19, 2014, Education Week, "U.S. Enrollment Hits Majority-Minority Milestone"
- August 6, 2014, NPR, "Scientists Say Child's Play Helps Build a Better Brain"
- August, 4, 2014, NPR, "Where the Wild Things Play"
- June 19, 2014, On Being with Krista Tippett, Interview with Dr. Stuart Brown - "Play, Spirit, and Character"
- March/April 2014, Exchange, "Supporting Children through the Transitions of Early Learning"
- March 19, 2014, Atlantic, "The Overprotected Kid: A preoccupation with safety has stripped childhood of independence, risk-taking, and discovery - without making it safer. A new kind of playground points to a better solution"
- March 3, 2014, Science Daily, "Health benefits from free play confirmed by research"