The Child Development Institute
Through its outreach to teachers, parents, administrators, community coalitions, and others committed to facilitating the growth of healthy, creative children, the Child Development Institute communicates a progressive educational philosophy and provides a forum for the discussion of issues related to children, childhood, and education.
Register by July 27 for August Professional Development Program!
Teaching the Environment: Discovering Urban Landscapes
August 4-8, 2014
"Raising Sustainability Natives: K-12 Education's Critical Role" by Katie Ginsberg
Friday, August 8, 2014
Sarah Lawrence College Center for the Urban River at Beczak
35 Alexander Street
Yonkers, NY 10701
Free and Open to the Public.
For more information, click here.
Conversations around the Common Core
With the Common Core State Standards being implemented in many states this year, there is growing national dialogue around the impact of its implementation. Click here to read points for consideration posed by the Child Development Institute. Learn more about what others are saying:
- New York Times Op-Ed, "We Need to Talk About the Test: A Problem with the Common Core" by Elizabeth Phillips
- New York Times, "Many Pupils Say 2014 New York Reading Tests Are Easier, but Complaints Persist" by Al Baker
- Network for Public Education Conference, Common Core Panel, with Paul Horton, Geralyn McLaughlin, Mercedes Schneider, Jose Luis Vilson, and Randi Weingarten
- Education Week, "Field Testing Set to Begin on Common Core Exams" by Catherine Gewertz and "Common Core Standards: Ten Colossal Errors" by Anthony Cody
- Huffington Post, "We Need a Course Correction on Common Core" by Dennis Van Roekel
- Washington Post, "Kindergarten Teacher: My job is now about tests and data - not children. I Quit." and "The Myth of Common Core Equity" by Valerie Strauss
CDI Hosts Virtual Teacher Dialogue with Educators from Tanzania
After months of dialogue and sharing of early childhood classroom footage between the Early Childhood Center (ECC) and the Janada L. Batchelor Foundation for Children (JBFC), CDI hosted a video call between ECC and JBFC teachers who met for the first time virtually. During the call, teachers shared their reactions, thoughts, and questions after seeing each other's classroom footage. Learn more»
Child Development News
- March/April 2014, Exchange, "Supporting Children through the Transitions of Early Learning"
- March 19, 2014, Atlantic, "The Overprotected Kid: A preoccupation with safety has stripped childhood of independence, risk-taking, and discovery - without making it safer. A new kind of playground points to a better solution"
- March 3, 2014, Science Daily, "Health benefits from free play confirmed by research"
- February 12, 2014, International Journal of Play, "On 'becoming social': the importance of collaborative free play in childhood"