The President's House
The President’s House, an example of 16th century Tudor architecture, was designed by Louis Bowman and built in 1921. Located on Kimball Avenue, the house was sold to the College by the Russell D. Morrill family in 1954. President Harold Taylor (1945-1959) and his family were the first residents of the President’s House.
Prior to the President's House as we know it today, there were two additional houses in which SLC presidents lived. The first was provided to President Constance Warren (1929-1945) at 7 Mead Way, now an energy-efficient student residence known as Warren Green. When Harold Taylor became president in 1945, he also lived at 7 Mead Way. However, by 1947, it became apparent that the president required a much larger residence for entertaining and other gatherings. With that in mind, the College purchased 24 Brook Road in 1947. In 1954, New York State purchased the property at 24 Brook Road and tore down the home to complete the Sprain Brook Parkway.
Below, a look at the President's House on Kimball Avenue through the years.
Adobe's Flash Player is required in order to view this photo gallery. Download the latest version from Adobe.com
Photos and history of the President's House courtesy of the Sarah Lawrence Archives