Tips for Greening
- Turn off everything when you leave your room.
- Turn off all lights in your room and in all public spaces.
- Do only full loads of laundry, use the cold water cycle and hang dry whenever possible.
- Put computers in sleep mode after 15 minutes, and turn them off at night.
- Unplug chargers. A charger still charges when it's not plugged into your phone, iPod, computer, etc. Or, just switch off your entire power strip.
- Unplug all unnecessary and underused appliances for good (mini-fridges, clocks, decorations, etc.).
- Use natural light from windows.
- Use CFLs or LEDs instead of incandescent bulbs for lighting in your room.
- If you have a thermostat that you can control, don't open your windows to cool down when the heater is on. Heaters in some dorms can be turned off completely by setting them to "0."
- Take shorter showers, and use cold water whenever possible.
- Use Energy Star Rated electronics.
- Spread the word to professors, friends, and colleagues! Positive change can only happen if minds and behavior are changed. Be creative!
Guidelines for Recycling